Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity at San Xavier Mission Convent, Tucson, Arizona, invited discerning Catholic young women for a recent Convent Picnic. The day began with Morning Prayer in the convent chapel followed by Mass in the San Xavier Mission courtyard.
A unique surprise for our guests was to climb the San Xavier Mission Tower. The blue skies accented the desert landscape making it a truly magnificent view from the church’s pure white heights. This was a discernment awakening. Seeing life from a different perspective can make all the difference in the world.
Next, the group moved to the convent patio and delighted in picnic-style food outside under continued sunny skies. Conversation centered around these questions and more:
- Why did you want to become a Sister?
- What type of prayer do you enjoy?
- Who’s your favorite saint or holy person that you admire in your life?
- Share about your life in a Religious Community.
- Tell us about your family and your relationship with them as a Sister.
At the end of the meal and the sharing time, the Sisters’ primary goal of the prayer and picnic was achieved. Guests left for home with some of their deeper hungers filled, knowing a bit more about each other and the Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity.